Thursday, August 30, 2012

Let The Canning Begin!


It's that time of year again. My gosh this summer just flew by! 
The garden is exploding with veggies that we can't eat fast enough fresh, so, into the water bath canner they go!
Canning is easier than you think and there's info all over the net on the how to's.
The best thing to do is get some good recipes from friends & family and can away.
I find having canning parties makes it more fun.
It makes the prep, wait, and clean up go sooo much faster.
Tomatoes are the easiest for me. If I have time, I make my sauce and then water process it all finished. My own homemade sauce, ready to go. If I don't have time, I just can the plain tomatoes.
Happy canning!
Crunchy Kosher Dill Pickles:
3c. water
3c. white vinegar
2tbsp. pickling salt
3qts. firm cucumbers 3-4 inches long
3 tbsp. dill seed ( or 9 heads fresh dill)
1 tbsp. pickling spice
1 clove garlic per jar
12 peppercorns
In large kettle combine water, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, pack cucumbers into hot sterilized jars. Add 1tbsp. dill seed or fresh dill, 1tsp. pickling spice, 1 clove garlic,  and 4 peppercorns into each jar. Cover with boiling vinegar mix, leave 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims. Adjust caps.
Process in boiling water bath 20 minutes.
Let cool .....

No comments: